IT services for visitors
UiB receives visiting researchers, students, lectureres, conference guest and other partners from public and commercial institutions. These guest frequently need access to IT servioces at UiB.
Guest visiting fromm other institutions in the [Eduroam] collaboration may access Internet via [Eduroam]. You use your regular employee or studentaccount from your home institution.
[Eduroam] may also be used by UiB-users visitin other institutions in the Eduroam collaboration.
[Eduroam] will be made available in all locations covered by UiB's wireless network.
UiB offers two types of accounts for guests, with different applications:
|Account type:||Used for:||Services included:|
|Net account||personal laptop||wireless network on campus|
|Course account||PC-s managed by the UiB IT Dept.
+ personal laptop
|print, temporary server storage
+ wireless network on campus
NB: Both types of account need to be opened by a UiB employee, who will be reponsible for its use. He/she must know who the account is used by.
The net account gives access to wireless network for guests with a personal laptop (or other device with WLAN capbility)
- Open a net account - done by the UiB empoyee.
- The net account gives access to logon to the UiB wireless network from personal laptop or similar.
- The net account is active for 1, 3 or 7 days.
When the account is ordered, a web page will display user name and password for the guest to use, as well as a short description of how the service is used.
Guests who need to log in to UiB computers, will need a course account. Such users may be course or conference participants, or guest lecturers.
- All UiB employees may open a course account via SEBRA. (Select "Login to my account" -> "Staff", log in, then select "Request for access" -> "Temporary account".)
- A course account provides the following services:
- Log on : to all PCs managed by the IT department
- Temporary storage : on separate storage area on server (without backup)
- Print : using PullPrint (not including the scan-to-email service)
- Wireless network : on campus
- Course accounts with temporary storage areas are automatically deleted by the expiry date and no backup is made of any data stored.
- The employee opening the account will have shared access to the data stored in the course account.
- Scanning to email is not available in the PullPrint service, as no email address is affiliated with the course account.
- All printing on will be charged to the department of the employee making the course account (as for employee and other accounts).
- You must log on to the "student"" domain (not "UiB") when you use the course account to log in to a UiB PC:
Guest lecturers may connect their personal PC to projectors and other equipment in teaching rooms and auditoria, or log on to a stationary UiB PC using a course account (see above).
For more information, please see Information for lecturers.