Setup for email in Mozilla Thunderbird
This is a guide for setting up private computers which are not hosted by the IT Department at University of Bergen. If you are currently using a computer that is hosted by the IT Department, there is no need for you to follow this guide.
This setup is for those who are using the Unix-mail server (Employees have Alf/ Students have Rasmus). If you are an employee and are using an Exchange account, you can use this setup Setup_of_mail_in_Thunderbird_(10)_towards_calendar-serveren. This will make your mail account in Exchange work in Thunderbird. Be aware that Thunderbird do not support the calendar function that is used in Outlook.
SSL configuration in Thunderbird
- In order to use SSL in Mozilla, click on the menu called “Edit”. Select the option “Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings”.
- Click on the option “Server Settings”
- Make sure the Server name is imap.uib.no
- The username must be the username you use to log on services at UiB(MySpace, webmail, etc). It should be 3 letters followed by three digits, e.g stu001.
- Mark the checkbox for “Use Secure Connection(SSL)” and click ok.
SMTP configuration in Thunderbird
- Click on “Tools” on the top menu and select “Account Settings”.
- Under “Local Folders”, select the option named “Outgoing Server (SMTP)”
- Click “Add” to add a new server.
- Make sure the Server name is set to smtp.uib.no.
- Mark the checkbox for “Use name and password” and enter your username. This should not contain @, only letters and digits.
- Mark the checkbox for SSL under “Use secure connection”.
- Using this configuration, you will be asked to enter your password everytime you wish to send a e-mail.