Possible Error Codes When Using VPN
From IThelp @ UiB
- 619: "A connection to the remote computer could not be established". Possible explanations:
- Your firewall or your antivirus software might be blocking the connection. Please deactivate these temporarily to test further. (NB! The IT department recommends the use of Microsoft Security Essentials on private computers. See also Anti Virus Software.)
- Your router might be closed for VPN traffic. Contact your supplier, and ask them to send you information on how to open port 1723 for VPN traffic.
- The network you are on might also be blocked for VPN traffic. Contact the network adminsitrator.
- 629, 691: "The port was disconnected by the remote machine.", "Access denied because username and/or password is invalid on the domain." Please try the following in the given order as long as the problem presists:
- Check that the user information you have entered is correct.
- Restart the machine.
- Remove the VPN connection and set it up again (see VPN, Virtual private network).
- 720: "No PPP Control Protocols Configured". Possible solutions:
- (In Windows 7:) Click the network icon on the taskbar. Right-click the VPN connection and choose "Properties". Find "PPP settings" under "Options" and make sure that "Enable LCP Extentions" is off. Store the settings, restart the machine and try the connection again.
- See also error 619, as this might be a firewall issue.
- 800: "Unable to establish connection". Possible explanations:
- The VPN server address might be wrong. The address should be "vpn-ansatt.uib.no" (employees) or "vpn-student.uib.no" (students).
- See also error 619, as this message might be a closed port issue.
- 806: “A connection between your computer and the VPN server has been established but the VPN connection cannot be completed”.
- If you recieve this message it might be that your network connection is of poor quality. If you are on a wireless connection it might be wise to change your location.
- Make sure you are able to contact the VPN server, and that you can send and recieve traffic tusing the VPN tunnel. You can use the ping or traceroute commands to check this. Contact BRITA (employees) or the PC assistanse (students) if you need further information on how to use these commands.
- See also error messsage 619.
- 807: "The network connection between your computer and the VPN server was interrupted".
- This can be caused by a problem in the VPN transmission and is commonly the result of internet latency or simply that the VPN server has reached capacity.
- If you continuously recieve this message also after restarting the computer and the wireless card you might try the following:
(In Windows 7:) Click the network icon on the taskbar. Right-click the VPN connection and choose "Properties". Find "Hostname or target IP address" under "General", type in "vpn-uib-gw.uib.no" (without the quotation marks) and press "Ok". Restart the machine if asked and then try the connection again.
- 868: "The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve".
- This error message usually means that your wireless connection is not functioning properly. Please resolve this issue before you try your VPN connection again.